Deepika Padukone is slowly but steadily making her mark on Hollywood. While she is mesmerizing everyone with her ravishing looks in Cannes right now, we'd like to share some lesser known facts about her.
1. Farah Khan had approached Deepika for the movie Happy New Year. As that movie didn't go on floor at the time, Farah signed Deepika for Om Shanti Om, instead. Surprisingly, Deepika was also casted in Happy New Year, which released almost seven years later.
2. In 2013 Deepika made a record when her movies did business of over Rs. 500cr. In 2013 she worked in Race 2, Yeh jawaani hai Deewani, Chennai express and Ram leela. All the movies did really well, and the total collection of these four crossed Rs. 500cr mark making her the only actress in the Indian film industry with this record.
3. Deepika has no godfather in the industry, but she did share her surname with the yesteryear legendary filmmaker Guru Dutt. Guru Dutt's real name was Vasanth Padukone and he also belonged to the same Karnataka's Chitrapur Saraswat Brahmin community as Deepika.
4. Not many people are aware that she has adopted a village in Ambegaon in Maharashtra. Her goal is to help them with their water and electricity needs. She is also closely involved with her father's organization, which works towards the betterment of Indian athletes.
5. Unlike any other celeb would have, Deepika chose to speak about the phase when she was struggling with depression. She made a effort to make people realize how common the disorder was. Deepika didn't just talk about it but even went ahead and founded live laugh love foundation. This NGO works towards helping those who are dealing with depression.
6. Kareena Kapoor Khan was the first choice for the role of Meenalochni "Meena" Azhagusundaram in the movie, Chennai Express. You remember Minamma, don't you? We're glad that she ultimately managed to get on the train!