Lipstick Under My Burkha, is a film that had had social media, news and even Facebook updates go gaga over it. From being called 'feminist' to 'female oriented', this is a movie that had to fight it out against the Indian censor board to finally be released, and since then people have had varied, views about it .
Love it or hate it, We will say this, Lipstick Under My Burkha is one of the most significant films of our time. So while we might debate it's plot, storyline or filmmaking in many ways, here are 10 reasons that all of us must watch this movie, ASAP!
1. The main subject of the film: This film is bold enough to talk about sex, women's desires and needs, their dreams and their wishes that are mostly left unfulfilled.
2. The social issues it raised: From marital rape to peer pressure and patriarchy, this film shows it all, exactly as it is .
3. It brings out the perspective of every age group: Not just focusing on the typical twentysomething Bollywood female protagonist, this movie shows us things from every perspective, a married woman, a college student, a young girl about to get married and 55 year old woman, each character is as important as the rest.
4. It's making waves in real life: With a lipstick rebellion happening and celebs like Arjun Kapoor coming out in it's support on social media, this movie is making a real impact today.
5. It's won a ton of International awards : Apart from premiering at the Mumbai Film Festival, the movie has been screened in 29 other nations. It had a world premiere at the Tokyo Film Festival held in Oct-Nov last year. And even before its official release, it has already won 10 International film festival awards.
6. It has a fabulous AF star cast
Ratna Pathak, Konkana Sen Sharma, Prakash Jha, the list goes on. This is one power package of a film.
7. It fought the censor board
Director Alankrita Shrivastava fought a long battle to get this film released in India. The Censor Board also certified it as a woman centric movie, which gives us even more reasons to go watch it. Also, the censor board thinks you are not ready to watch a film that talks about women, their freedom and their sexuality.
8. It talks about female solidarity
Time and again, this movie shows us how women support each other, promoting sisterhood in the best possible way.