1. Unwrapped cough drop covered in Mysterious Purse Dust.
2. A lot of Mysterious Purse Dust.
3. An empty tissue packet wrapper.
4. Seven crumpled receipts that you will never actually check against your bank account.
5. A business card from someone you had a really promising networking conversation with, who you will never, ever speak to again.
6. Your business card from two jobs ago, even though you've gotten a new purse since then.
8. Spare cell phone charger that kind of looks like a tiny vibrator. Note: It's not actually charged.
9. Tampon with the wrapper half torn open.
10. All the bobby pins you've ever used. Note: These will mysteriously disappear when you actually need one.
11. Broken hair elastic.
12. Tiny nubbin of lip balm that you have to awkwardly scrape across your lips because you're too lazy to go buy more.
13. A tissue that you can't tell is clean and fell out of the wrapper or is used and you put it back because you couldn't find a garbage can.
14. One unwrapped, squished piece of Trident.
15. A Starbucks gift card that is probably empty but maybe has 23 cents left on it.
16. A tiny sample of hand cream that you got from Birchbox and put in your purse because you were going to be the kind of lady who is always on time and always has artisanal hand cream. You have never used it. It is covered in Mysterious Purse Dust.
17. Something that appears to be garbage to the naked eye but actually fills you with happy memories when you go to clean out your bag. You went to Paris five years ago, but you're keeping that old Metro ticket in the corner with the cough drops forever. Your bag may be a pretty vehicle for garbage, but it's also good for carrying around memories.
By Alexandra Martell and Elisa Benson
See the full story on Cosmopolitan.com