Just like getting square eyes from watching too much TV or a melty brain from standing too close to a working microwave, we've repeatedly been told that leaving our phone to charge overnight is a big no-no. But is it actually dangerous?

While some say it's a major fire hazard and others that it will cause your phone's battery to degrade as you constantly try to push it past its limit, there's actually no need to worry.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Instead, stop underestimating your handset. These are smartphones after all. Most modern handsets are wise enough to know when their battery is full, cutting off incoming charge when the battery hits that 100% charge target.

While leaving your phone connected to the mains won't cause it to spontaneously combust or your battery to turn to liquid jelly, there are a few things you're still going to want to avoid.

More From Cosmopolitan

Overheating, not unsupervised connections, is the real troublemaker when it comes to letting your phone's battery live a long and supportive life.

As such, you're going to want to do everything you can to ensure your phone is able to regulate its heat as well as possible. That means taking it out of any protective case you keep it in while it charges and making sure it's placed on a flat, hard surface.

Nestle it in a deep, plush carpet, or prop it up on a spare pillow while it charges and you're only going to cause it to get all hot and bothered, and neither you nor its battery want that. Still, that's better than waking up at 2am to unplug it, right?


What do you think?