- 1 (790g) can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. ground clove
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- In a blender, puree tomatoes until smooth.
- In a medium pot, heat canola oil on medium heat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes or until browned. Add clove and pepper; cook 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar, cider vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, and pureed tomatoes. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, puree until smooth. Refrigerate until cold; keeps for 3 weeks in the fridge.