Can a superfood really fix your hair thinning problems? If you want to nourish your problem strands, then a smoothie with benefits will support your efforts. Nutritional physiologist Rick Hay has three that will help. Down one every morning!
Green avocado blast
A fabulous smoothie packed with iron and vitamin B12 to support hair that's falling out due to iron deficiency.
- 200ml milk (almond, rice or regular for a hit of B12)
- Half an avocado – for protein and essential fatty acids
- A handful of spinach – packed with iron and magnesium to help keep the nervous system steady and ease the hair loss worry!
- A handful of mixed nuts or seeds – essential fatty acids and protein for good hair growth.
- A few pieces of nectarine, pear or melon – rich in vitamin C to help boost collagen production and hair condition.
- A tablespoon of Greek yoghurt - to help with vitamin B12 levels.
- 1 dropper full of liquid vitamin B12 for a real boost!Try: Solgar Liquid Vitamin B12 (£13.99 for 59ml)
Banana nut blast
Biotin can help growth of hair and nails. This smoothie has biotin-rich foods and some extra nutrients in the mix! Blitz together…
- 200ml almond milk
- A handful or almonds or 1-2 teaspoons of nut butter – rich in fibre, protein, biotin and vitamin E, which aregood for a healthy scalp and hair!
- Handful of kale or spinach
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of Greek yoghurt – a good source of biotin and calcium.
- 1 small banana - with biotin, potassium and tryptophan to help with stress.
- 2 dates - rich in iron to help promote circulation to the scalp.
- 15 drops of liquid Biotin and Vitamin D3.Try Life-flo Biotin Drops (£15.50 for 60ml).
Berry Green Blast
This smashing little smoothie could help tweak your thyroid thanks to iodine rich foods and greens.
- 200ml coconut water or coconut milk
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries - rich in iodine, vitamin C and antioxidants.
- 1 handful of cranberries (dried are ok) – another good iodine source.
- Handful of mixed salad greens - to increase vitamin A and iron levels.
- 2 prunes - again high in iodine and they provide natural sweetness and energy.
- Half a teaspoon of sea green powder to boost iodine!Try Synergy Organic Supergreens (£19.96 for 200g)