He may beg, but be strong: Feeding your pup certain dinner scraps can lead to all kinds of health issues — and, in some cases, even death. When it comes to from-the-table treats, skip these altogether.More
Why it's bad: You may not feel that hot after inhaling a plate of bacon — but it's even worse for your pooch. As delicious as it is, this breakfast treat contains loads of fat that can lead to pancreatitis (an inflamed pancreas that isn't functioning correctly) in dogs.
Worst-case scenario: "I saw a dog that had helped himself to four bacon-wrapped filet mignon skewers when the owners were outside prepping the grill," Sonja Olson, DVM recounts. "Not only did he eat all that fat and raw meat, but also the metal skewers, which could cause massive trauma in the stomach." Ultimately, surgery was required to remove the meat and the metal.
Why it's bad: You might thinking giving your pup the leftovers from your chicken or steak dinner is a nice, natural treat. But the truth is that dogs can easily choke on the bones, and when they're cooked, they can splinter and wreak havoc to your pup's insides.
Worst-case scenario: Bones can also get lodged in a dog's throat or stomach, leading to choking and a gastrointestinal obstruction — and when those situations go untreated, he could die.