1. He understands that sometimes you need space after a fight. He lets you do you after you've gotten into an argument. He doesn't try to chase you or get you wound up again. He lets you go until you're both ready to talk again.
2. He knows that he can't always "fix" a problem. When you're telling him about a backstabbing coworker, he's not constantly interrupting you to tell you what he'd do. Generally, he doesn't tell you what you should've done differently when you're explaining a problem to him.
3. He can sit and really listen. Not just sit there and stare, but really listen. There's a difference.
4. He understands that things can be upsetting without being life-threatening or dangerous. He doesn't belittle your issues, even if what you're upset about is clutter around the apartment. He'll promise to do better and, like, pick up his socks.
5. He thinks it's better to talk through things than ignore them. If you're upset that he hasn't been around as often, he wants to take the time to figure out why and what he can do differently so you're both happy. Because even though it means having an uncomfortable conversation, he knows it's better to communicate than stew over things.
6. He knows how to cheer you up. Whenever you've had a really shitty day, he's right there with your favorite takeout and a movie - or his signature handmade margaritas. In fact, he's so close to psychic he probably deserves his own TLC show.
7. He's nice to everyone. You're not nervous about bringing him to work functions or to meet your parents. You know he'll behave, and more than likely, he'll charm everyone in the room, because he can always read a person and find a way to relate to them.
8. He's not "threatened" by your male friends. He doesn't need to have a dick-measuring contest whenever one of your guy friends comes around, because he doesn't see him as a threat or automatically assume other guys are trying to move in on you. He actually likes your guy friends. (Granted, that doesn't mean he wouldn't do something if one of them did hit on you.)
9. You know he'll be a good dad. He's really kind and caring whenever you babysit your nephew. He has no problem holding a baby (in fact, he enthuses over it). Not that you're ready for kids yet, but you just know he'll be great once it's time. In fact, you think he might even want kids before you do.
10. He won't bail at the first sign of trouble. Just because your relationship hits a rough patch, that doesn't mean he wants to give up. He sticks with you and makes sure he's there to help you. Whether you're depressed or you've lost your job or are in a fight for whatever reason, he can manage thing other guys just can't handle.
11. He doesn't automatically get mad at you when you're pissed at him. Things don't escalate, especially if he realizes he's in the wrong. He's fully capable of stepping back and seeing a situation for what it is.
12. All that said, he's still a badass. Just because he's sensitive, that doesn't mean he's not manly. He's just one of those rare guys who can feel feelings and then go build you a deck in your backyard.
By Frank Kobola
See the full story on Cosmopolitan.com