10 Things You Didn't Know About How Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Khan Finally Got Married
Serving #RelationshipGoals and how...
One of the most successful marriages in Bollywood,Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Khan have lasted more than 25 years now, and are still as much in love as their first day. But how many actually know the journey they embarked on from first date to their final wedding?
Anupama Chopra published some very interesting details about SRK and Gauri Khan's life in her book 'King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan and the Seductive World of Indian Cinema'.
1. An 18 year old Shah Rukh saw Gauri, the love of his life who was just 14 then, but he was too shy to approach her. It took him 3 meetings to finally ask her for her phone number.
2. Their first date happened on October 25, 1984 in Panchsheel Club located in Panchsheel Enclave, Delhi. According to Anupama's book, both of them 'sat by the pool and nervously sipped colas.' It barely lasted 5 minutes! Awww. Isn't it hard to imagine the 'King of Romance' act so nervous around the lady of his life?
3. Since he couldn't call as himself, Shah Rukh would pose as a certain 'Shaheen' whenever he called at Gauri's residence, which was more like a bat-signal for Gauri that it was him calling. Aah, there's nothing like old school romance!
4. Falling harder for each other with each passing day, Gauri and SRK would meet occasionally at parties, and spent time hanging around in Delhi's JNU campus. He would make history notes for Gauri, and even teach her how to drive. A hug or two later, they would return to their respective homes.
5.Just like every love-story, their relationship also faced certain hurdles. An over-possessive Shah Rukh made life hell for Gauri, controlling her life too much. For instance, not wear white shirts for fear of transparency, or leave her hair untied—even stop talking to other boys! A frustrated Gauri then fled to Mumbai to get some space of her own, leaving Shah Rukh clueless about her whereabouts.
6. With a mere 10k in his pocket, our true-Bollywood hero went to win back the love of his life and searched everywhere for her, even sleeping on the streets or at Mumbai Central Railway Station at times! When just a few hours were left for a dejected Shah Rukh's train back home, he finally found her at the Gorai beach!
7. After realizing that they were very much in love and wanted to get married, they decided to tackle the bull by the horn—convince Gauri's parents of their inter-religion union, a mammoth task indeed. He started by impressing the softest member of the family, a certain Neeru aunty. His certificates, awards and jokes like — ""I will become a Hindu and change my name to Jitendra Kumar Tully. But how will I get uncircumcised?"—won her heart, and she along with her husband invited Shah Rukh to a house party.
8.Which like any Bollywood love saga (obviously!) — spelled disaster! Guests recognized him as the actor who played the lead in the TV serial Fauji, and when Gauri's father learned about his Muslim identity, he lost his temper and asked him to leave.
9. Nevertheless, after a lottttt of convincing, the couple finally tied the knot on October 25, 1991. SRK wore a suit borrowed from his film Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman's costume department! A court marriage, followed by a traditional Hindu wedding saw an elated Shah Rukh dancing the most on his own wedding!
10. Even in his struggling days in Bollywood, there was nothing more important to Shah Rukh than his wife and his marriage. Reportedly, producer F C Mehra told him to postpone his wedding until their film Chamatkar released, to which SRK reverted with a "I'd rather quit." #BoyfriendGoals
In the book, Anupama Chopra mentioned a Stardust article from the year 1992, where Shah Rukh had given this statement—
"My wife comes first. And I can tell you this much that if ever I am asked to make a choice between my career and Gauri, I'll leave films...I mean I would go insane but for her. She's the only thing I have...I love her body. I am hooked to her."
Fact Source: Bollywood Hungama