Our skin faces a lot of concerns throughout the year. Be it be climatic conditions, weather, pollution, etc and your lifestyle habits add to it too. As a result the natural grow of your skin is stolen by a number of factors. If you were to compare your skin with the baby version of you, you'll wonder how you had no acne, pigmentation, or other issues as much as you do now. What happened?
The answer to that is that you went through puberty, you probably ate junk, you may or may not have started smoking and the climatic conditions only got worse. When life takes a toll on you, all the stress is resulted in how you look.
Today we're talking about a procedure that is all the rage RN––lip lightening. For those who're curious, Dr Batul Patel, Medical Director and Dermatologist, The Bombay Skin Clinic talks about the procedure.
"We develop pigmented lips overtime for various environmental, medical and lifestyle factors. This is caused by excess of melanin and also knows as pigmentation. Exposure to sun, excess tea coffee intake, smoking, lip sucking, allergic reaction, dehydration are common causes of lip darkening. It is very important to understand the exact reason for lip darkening; if it is because of hereditary reasons then it's very difficult to treat this condition," says Dr. Patel.
There are few simple ways on lightening the lips include over the counter creams, in clinic treatments, lifestyle changes etc. For ensuring healthy lips it is advisable to use a lip balm with has more than SPF 15 in it. Lip creams containing kojic acid can be used to prevent the production of melanin (that causes pigmentation on your skin). Lifestyle changes are important, including reducing excess of tea, coffee, smoking etc. It is advisable to remove the lipstick before going to sleep. Few home remedies like application of aloe vera, orange slice also can help in making your lips look smooth and supple.
Dr. Patel explains how this 5 step procedure works at her clinic:
1. We start with cleansing the lips with cleansing milk that has Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
2. Cleansing is followed by a process called hydradermabrasion, that involves a gentle vacuum to exfoliate the your lips. Water is passed through this probe which penetrates into the lips while hydrating them.
3. A Q-switched laser is passed over the lips to target the pigment cells. This helps reduce the pigmentation on the surface of your lips.
4. A gentle peel containing kojic and lactic acid is applied on the lips, as lactic acid helps exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin.
5. A brightening mask containing seaweed and marine plants is applied to further brighten the lips.
So are you ready to get softer, lighter lips?
With inputs from Dr.Batul Patel, Medical Director and Dermatologist,The Bombay Skin Clinic.