Since Bollywood celebrities started attending the Cannes Film Festival, their outfit choices have been the topic of speculation, admiration and In keeping with the general flair for dramatic trains and larger than-life-couture at the festival, our ladies of Tinseltown too, have been known to don dramatic gowns and avant-garde outfits over the years. However, being well versed with the elegant appeal of a nine-yard-drape, many stars such as Deepika Padukone, Vidya Balan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Sonam Kapoor amongst others have opted to wear saris, both on and off the festival red carpet. From Sonam's fashionable styling to Vidhya Balan's elegance and Kangana Ranaut's dramatic flair, here are 15 instances in which Bollywood celebrities have worn the sari at Cannes with sartorial panache.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
1. Aishwarya wore a gorgeous, traditional yellow sari by designer Neeta Lulla as she attended the festival with Shahrukh Khan and Sanjay Leela Bhansali in 2002.
2. In 2003, Aiswarya wore a back-draped style in a striking lime-green hue, also designed by Neeta Lulla.
3. While attending the festival with husband Abhishek Bachchan in 2010, she opted for an elegant black and gold Sabyasachi drape.
5. And our final pick for Aishwarya is this glamorous gold creation of courtier Tarun Tahiliani, worn by the actor in 2013.
Sonam K Ahuja
6. As the French would put it, Sonam has masterd the art of being très chic, especially when it comes to draping a sari. In 2003, the actor wore this elegant Anamika Khanna outfit, complete with stunning nosering to the Great Gatsby premiere.
7. In was Anamika again in 2014, this time in sheer, blush pink with a hit of embellishment.
8. And finally, it was her structured and futuristic Rimzim Dadu drape that captured our attention in 2016.
9. While Deepika has chosen to opt for more international styling over the years, she made a memorable appearance in white-and-gold embellished sari by designer Rohit Bal back in 2010.
10. If we are to pick from Vidya Balan's sari collection at Cannes, two of her outfits stand out the most. This first is the bright red floral Sabyasachi number she wore in 2013.
11. And the second is also a drape by Sabyasachi that she wore the same year, this one in a more muted and royal palette that screamed ethnic elegence.
12. Kangana's two sari appearances at Cannes could not be more poles apart. In 2018, she donned a black lace Sabyasachi that exhuded old world charm, a look completed by her stunning pearl-and-emerald choker.
13. The next year, she chose to create a stir donning a gloved and belted sari by designers Falguni Shane Peacock.
14. Richa Chadha made a chic sartorial statement in a summery, flowered sari by designer Sabyasachi (who seems to be a Cannes favourite for Bollywood) in 2015.
15. Rounding off our list is Diana Penty, who's etheral white Amit Aggarwal sari in 2019 won our nod for it's exquisite, fashionable styling.