With social distancing becoming the norm for the past few months, there has never been a more apt time to take the plunge into the world of online dating. A silver lining in these times is that online dating apps are getting better by the minute. Head to Bumble, the social networking app, for example, if you are looking to meet a new romantic interest. Women get to make the first move on Bumble to connect with like-minded people. Moreover, it's real-time photo verification technology ensures fake accounts are at bay and you’re comfortable to make new connections.
Once you connect with someone you like, the first move you make has the potential to make or break your match. Be it Voice Chat or a Video Call, if you knock it out of the park with an interesting, clever opener, and spark some flirtatious vibes from the get-go if that’s how you would like to start. Since you are not meeting physically, it’s your words that will help you put your best, virtual foot forward. If you are feeling uninspired, awkward or are just not used to making the first move, fret not. Bumble even suggests tailor-made fun questions for you to make the first move, based on your dating style. Now that we have established how important the first move is, it’s time for you to put our theory to the test. To get you going, here are 10 cool, fun and unusual ways to begin the conversation and grab your virtual date’s attention instantly.
1. If you can’t think of what to say, share a GIF as an instant, effective icebreaker. A GIF can create a point of interest without putting too much pressure on both you and your date. Bumble even has a bunch of fun and interesting built-in GIFs you can use.
2. Question Game on Bumble is what will save you when and if you’re stuck on what to say. Have fun at home and get to know each other better by mutually answering questions using the Question Game. It’s a surefire way to find common ground, or spark a flirty debate.
3. Use humour as your trustworthy wing person. If you are nervous about what to say, open with a good joke. One of Bumble’s suggested openers, “There is something wrong with my phone - it doesn’t have your number in it” is a fun conversation-starter.
4. Be direct. There is something quite attractive about someone who doesn’t beat around the bush. Sometimes, simply asking someone what they will be doing over the weekend, or specifically on Thursday at 8:00 pm, is a simple and effective way to get your date’s attention.
5. What do they love? One of the best ways to get someone to open up, without it feeling like an interrogation, is to ask them about the things they love.
6. Discuss a common interest. Thanks to the Profile Badges on Bumble, it is easy to identify common interests and establish them as conversation-starters. If you both like films, talk about your top 5 favourites. If you both love to travel, ask them about their most memorable trip, you get our drift.
7. Got a wild or funny story to tell? Spare your thumbs the trouble and use the Audio Note feature on Bumble to leave an interesting, funny or a wild story.
8. Play a game together. A guaranteed way to break the ice is to initiate playing a game together, right in the beginning. You could also play a virtual game of Scrabble, or the goold old ‘Never have I ever…’ to get to know someone and have fun while you are at it.
9. Surprise them. Hit your date up with something they least expect. Ask them what unusual pizza topping they like or use a bad pun on purpose and it will show them your lighter side and help them feel less self-conscious.
10. Ask something completely out of the box. This is a great way to get the conversation going and grab someone’s attention. “What made you smile today?” or “What’s something you’ve done that you’re proud of?” are some of the fun and interesting first moves you can make to get to know your date a little better.
So there you have it, 10 great, fun first moves to grab your virtual date’s attention right from the get go. If you needed any more incentive to get your virtual dating game on, this is it. Download the Bumble app and get started on your dating journey now!