The most common issues that women deal with is cellulite and we bet you must have googled several times to look up ways to get rid of it. There are OTC creams, scrubs and lotions that claim to help you get rid of cellulite, but we all know it takes more than just slathering cream. To help you understand cellulite better and to banish it forever, we spoke to Jitendra Chouksey, founder Fittr, an online fitness community. Here's what he suggests you need to do.
What is Cellulite?
"Cellulite needs no introduction. Simply put, it is a term that means the formation of lumpy, dimply skin on your thighs, buttocks, abdomen and other parts of your body," says Jitendra.
What Causes Cellulite?
"Cellulite gets formed due to the interaction of our connective tissues and fat cells. Here’s what might happen: if you have excess fat, the fat cells which lie beneath the skin push up against the connective tissue. This gives the skin that orange-peel kind of look that we know as cellulite," explains Jitendra.
What are the different types of cellulite
"Depending on the severity of the problem, cellulite is categorized as Grade 1, 2 and 3.
Grade 1 – Mild Cellulite
Grade 2 – Moderate Cellulite
Grade 3 – Severe Cellulite
Each one of us is probably going to have some cellulite at some stage of life. The problem is all the misinformation that's floating around. What’s worse: so-called “hacks” that promise to get rid of this common problem," he says.
How To Deal With Cellulite
Surprisingly dealing with cellulite is not as difficult as you think. Jitendra suggests a three-pronged approach that will help you reach your goal faster.
1. Proper Diet and Nutrition: One of the factors that contribute to cellulite formation is higher fat levels. Eating a proper, balanced diet will help you stay fit and reduce the severity or possibility of cellulite.
2. Stay hydrated: If you want healthy skin, you need to up your water intake. This is also true with cellulite. Water encourages circulation and lymphatic flow and can be a cheap remedy to cellulite.
3. Get Active: Weight loss does not guarantee that you’ll be rid of cellulite. But losing body fat can reduce the appearance of cellulite and even move you from Grade 3 to Grade 2 or 1. Some activities that you can incorporate into your daily routine include walking, swimming, running, cycling. You could also start doing bodyweight exercises at home that target the lower body such as Squats, Lunges, Glute Bridges, etc.
The best exercises that will banish cellulite:
1. Stand straight with feet shoulder width apart. Raise your hands in the front for balance
2. Bend your knees and lower your body down as if you were going to sit on a chair
3. Your knees stay behind your toes, chest up. Come down till your thighs are parallel to the ground and push yourself up with force.
4. Repeat the exercise for 10 to 12 repetitions and for 3-4 sets.
1. Stand with your feet slightly apart.
2. Take a big step forward
3. Lower your body straight down. (Don’t lean forward, keep your torso straight).
4. Push yourself back to starting position with the extended leg
5. Make sure your knee is behind your foot, if possible, the knee should stay right above the ankle.
6. Repeat the exercise for 10 to 12 repetitions each leg and for 3-4 sets.
3. Single Leg Glute Bridge:
1. Lay flat on your back with one leg out straight and the other leg bent, drive through the hell of your bent leg and push your hips towards the ceiling and squeeze your glutes.
2. Keep the non-working leg straight and in alignment with your torso, lower yourself under control in the similar fashion you came up.