Sooo we all know Pride looked a whole lot different last year because of a literal global pandemic. And while it wasn’t the normal IRL festivities with in-person parades and gorgeous rainbow outfits touted in the clubs, the month was still filled with plenty of virtual events.
We had virtual live shows that featured celebs like Adam Lambert, Katy Perry, and Billy Porter. We had drag queen performances via Zoom. We even had online queer art exhibits. (Honestly, we love to see it.)
TBD what June will look like with COVID-19 cases this year, but regardless of whether celebrations will be outside or stay indoors, there are still some things you can do to celebrate and show your support.
If you’re feeling lyrical…
- “Baby, I was born this way.” —Lady Gaga
- “You’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t, so you might as well just do whatever you want.” —Kacey Musgraves
- “Your love is my love and my love is your love.” —Whitney Houston
- “Our love is here to STAY.” —Whitney Houston
- “From the playboys to the gay boys, go and slay, boys.” —Lizzo
- “I see your true colors and that’s why I love you.” —Cyndi Lauper
- “…And I can’t change, even if I tried.” —Macklemore
- “My love, my love, my love, she keeps me warm.” —Macklemore
- “I don’t play, I slay.” —Todrick Hall
- “Why are you mad? When you could be GLAAD?” —Taylor Swift
- “R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what that means to me.” —Aretha Franklin
- “I’ll do me, you do you.” —Blue October
- “Kiss lots of boys or kiss lots of girls, if that’s something you’re into.” —Kacey Musgraves
- “You love who you love.” —John Mayer and Katy Perry
If you’re feeling cinematic…
- “Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.” —The Imitation Game
- “My doctor said we can’t choose where we come from, but we can choose where we go from there.” —The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- “It takes a lot of courage to be yourself when a lot of ignorant motherf*ckers have a problem with being different.” —Latter Days
- “Take me, baby, or leave me.” —Rent
- “Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?” —What a Girl Wants
- “You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.” —The Notebook
- “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” —10 Things I Hate About You
- “After a while, you learn to ignore the names people call you and just trust who you are.” —Shrek
If you’re feeling funny…
- “I don’t need a crown to know that I’m a queen.” —Lizzo
- Froot Loop in a world of Cheerios and damn PROUD of it.
- Baby, bi bi bi…wait, that’s how that went, right?
- Why the eff would I be straight when I could be me?
- Um, why pick one color when you could have the entire rainbow?
- YES, homo.
- Some simple instructions: Do 👏🏼 not 👏🏼 f*ck 👏🏼 with 👏🏼 my 👏🏼 LGBTQ+ 👏🏼 friends. K, thx.
- “I hate the word ‘homophobia.’ It’s not a phobia. You’re not scared. You’re an asshole.” —Morgan Freeman
- Hope you’ve got your ear plugs handy ’cause I’m feeling LOUD and PROUD.
- Baby, I was born this GAY.
- “One giant leap for man-on-mankind.” —Will & Grace
- Oh, what a beautiful morning; oh, what a beautiful gaaay.
- No shade on Narnia, but life out of the closet is, like, a million times better.
- I just took a DNA test, found out I’m 100% that queer.
If you’re feeling inspirational…
- “Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” —Harvey Fierstein
- “I learned compassion from being discriminated against. Everything bad that’s ever happened to me has taught me compassion.” —Ellen DeGeneres
- “You don’t have to live a lie.” —Gilbert Baker
- “I’ve never been interested in being invisible and erased.” —Laverne Cox
- “Love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love.” —Lin-Manuel Miranda
- “This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another.” —Elliot Page
- “I’ve been embraced by a new community. That’s what happens when you’re finally honest about who you are: You find others like you.” —Chaz Bono
- “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” —Dr. Seuss
- “Be yourself—everyone else is already taken.” —Oscar Wilde
- “Love is never wrong.” —Melissa Etheridge
- “We are powerful because we have survived.” —Audre Lorde
- “Love wins. Every single time.” —J. Autherine
If you’re feeling political…
- “I believe that telling our stories, first to ourselves and then to one another and the world, is a revolutionary act.” —Janet Mock
- “My silences had not protected me. Your silence will not protect you.” —Audre Lorde
- “Why is it that as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?” —Earnest J. Gaines
- “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others see you standing and stand up as well.” —Cassandra Duffy
- “Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start.” —Jason Collins
- “Gay rights are human rights.” —Hillary Clinton
- Make America gay again.
- The Stonewall Riots started and ended in 1969, but the fight is NOT over.
- Don’t just go to the parade. Get involved.
- Pride is more than just fun Instagram and rainbow outfits. It’s about continuing the fight for basic human RIGHTS.
- “Equality means more than passing laws. The struggle is really won in the hearts and minds of the community, where it really counts.” —Barbara Gittings
- “If you help elect more gay people, that gives a green light to all who feel disenfranchised, a green light to move forward.” —Harvey Milk
If you’re feeling like keeping it simple…
- Feelin’ proud.
- HAPPY PRIDE. 🌈🌈
- It’s officially the BEST month of the year.
- Proud this month and every other month.
- Happy Pride, y’all!
- Doin’ me.
- Time to start letting people be themselves, k?
- Happy Pride!
- Do you, boo.
If you’re feeling your emoji keyboard…