Your iPhone is supposed to be like a faithful friend to you; there for your every tele-communicational need at the drop of the hat. So you don't really expect it to go and blow up right there in your pocket, but that's unfortunately what happened to one student from New Jersey in the States.
Darin Hlavaty is the proud owner of iPhone 6 Plus - or at least he was until it exploded in his back pocket, burning a hole right through his jeans according to reports from 6ABC.
The college student described feeling "this crazy, hot burning in my leg," during a physical science class one morning. Then came the smoke, and then the fizzing and popping, at which point I'd be fairly concerned I was about to spontaneously combust myself, if I were Darin.
When Darin went to grab the phone from his back pocket, he describes it as being "super hot, so I flinched, grabbed it, threw it on the ground. Had to kick it because it was on fire." Bye bye, iPhone.
It's most likely that the phone's explosion was caused as a result of the battery, however Darin is confused about why it would have happened because the six-month old phone was out of battery and it wasn't even plugged in. The only thing Darin can think of is that it had a "simple crack" in the screen, "but I don't see a simple crack causing it to blow up in my pocket," he told 6ABC, dumbfounded.
Thankfully, by the time the emergency services arrived the fire had gone out, so nobody was harmed. Well, except Darin's jeans, which now sport a massive hole in the back pocket.
Follow Cat on Twitter.