1. He makes comments about the future that imply you’ll still be together.
2. He indulges you as you vent about your boss and gossip about the latest evictee From BIGG BOSS.
3. He’s not totally horrified when you walk around wearing a face mask.
4. You’re capable of having it out, and sorting it out, in a reasonable time frame. No, ignoring each other for a week is not reasonable.
5. He says, ‘i love you’—even when you’re wearing your ugliest track pants and watching New Girl re-runs, deep in sloth mode.
6. He tells you how smokin’ hot you look when you actually make an effort (because we all know ‘you look nice’ doesn’t cut it).
7. When he met your (possibly crazy) extended family, he didn’t leg it.
8. When you’re apart, you miss each other in a genuine way, not in a 15-year-old’s way.
9. You’ve successfully travelled together for more than two weeks without any major bust-ups.
10. You have similar long-term goals, whether it’s buying a house or starting a family.
11. You hate dealing with other humans, but you never get sick of hanging out with (or waking up next to) him.
12. He has a polite way of telling you that that pasta you made for dinner was really terrible.
13. When you think about marrying him, the best part is not the wedding but the fact you’ll spend the rest of your lives together.
14. He brags about you. He’s your biggest fan, next to your mom.
15. No matter how long you’ve been an item, he still does sweet things for you.
16. He’s nice to your friends even when he comes home to find you and your besties drunk on wine and singing karaoke.
17. His friends are nice to you, and keep saying how he’s never seemed happier.
18. You don’t ever think about happily ever after, because as far as you’re concerned, you’ve already got it.
This article was originally published in the December 2014 issue of Cosmopolitan India