They say a man’s body language tells you everything you need to know about him—even if he never explicitly says anything. And luckily for you, if bae struggles expressing his *emotions* for things other than sports, his mannerisms and what he does with his hands, legs, feet, eyes, and every other part of his body while talking with you can reveal if he’s got the hots for you.
“Unconscious body language signals can be extremely telling,” says US-based body language expert, Patti Wood, author of Success Signals, A Guide To Reading Body Language. You can figure out what a guy is thinking—or how much he’s into you—by the way he moves when he’s around you.
Pay attention to these body language cues to reaffirm that your guy is totally into you.
1. He’s breathing at a slow pace. This means he’s relaxed around you. “It’s a good sign. Men like to feel comfortable around their partners,” says US-based relationship expert Melissa D Thompson.
2. He has clammy hands. Sweaty palms could mean he’s hot, yes, but also that he’s nervous. “It’s a sign that he could potentially have interest, and doesn’t want to mess anything up,” says Melissa.
3. He inadvertently touches you. Whether he accidentally grazes your hand, or keeps hitting your foot under the table, it shows he wants to be close to you physically, says Melissa.
4. He plays with his tie. “When nervous, people often touch the dip area where the neck meets the collarbones, for self-soothing,” says US-based David Bennett, counsellor and relationship expert. “Guys often do it when they’re into a woman.”
5. He stumbles over his words. When he’s normally not awkward socially, but fumbles around you, “it could be a sign of interest, says David.
6. His face gets flushed. “When someone’s really into someone, it can cause a stress reaction, and the adrenaline can lead to facial flushing,” says David.
7.He stands inches from you when you’re face-to-face. “If he’s not afraid of body closeness, it’s likely he wants to take advantage of being as close to you
as possible” says online dating coach, Andi Forness.
8. His pupils are huge. Either you’re in a super-dark place, or he’s into you. “Dilation is a brain response when you’re attracted to someone” says Patti.
9. His eyebrows raise up when he sees you. “If he likes you, the aperture of his eyes increases, making his eyebrows raise,” Patti says.
10. He shows his front teeth when he smiles. “Guys stop smiling like this around the age of 5—unless they’re really happy,” Patti says.
11. He smiles above the mouth. Real smiles lift the forehead and give you slightly squinty eyes. If his smile involves his whole face, it’s a good sign.
12. He licks his lips in a cute way. When into someone, your mouth produces extra saliva, Patti says.
13. He locks eyes with your face, not eyes. When everyone’s glued to their phones, non-stop eye contact can be a bit uncomfy. So, new rule: if he spends most of your interaction looking from your eyes to your nose and lips, he’s into you, Patti says.
14. He takes a deep breath when he sees you. If he’s subconsciously doing it—he’ll pull in his stomach and puff out his chest—it’s an attempt to make his upper body look broader and his waist smaller, to look fitter and (from an evolutionary perspective) more desirable, Patti says.
15. He leans towards you when you talk. In a noisy bar, it may not hold much weight, but when he can hear you perfectly well and leans in anyway, it means he’s interested in what you have to say.
16. The moment he sees you, he wants to touch you or really look at you. “What someone does as soon as they come through the door says a lot about what’s important to them,” says Patti. He won’t just walk in and settle down without a hug, kiss, or a long glance first.
17. He puts his hands on his hips, with his elbows out to the sides. This stance takes up more space than standing with arms against the sides: a male power signal, Patti says. They use it to show physical superiority over other men. In this situation, it means he’s seeking attention from you.
18. When he initiates physical contact under the guise of another reason. Like, to compliment how soft your pants are. It’s to see how you respond to his touch,
19. He points his toes towards you. Feet are involved in the fight-or-flight response that kicks in when you’re in danger, so they’re largely controlled by the unconscious mind, and can be very telling in social interactions. “The feet tend to point where the heart wants to go,” Patti says.
20. He shuffles toward you while you’re talking. Duh, he wants to get closer.
21. He crosses his legs. If he crosses them in a way that turns his torso and upper body away from you, he might be disinterested. But if he crosses his legs away and turns the rest of his body towards you, it could just mean that he’s shy.
22. He talks to you without facing you. While this could be a sign he’s keeping his options open, Patti says, don’t rush to judge! If he makes an effort to find a common thread or asks you lots of questions, his body language may just reflect his personality (shy), and he could actually be totally into you.
23. He touches his throat. The throat represents communication and vulnerability, says Patti. It could mean he’s interested in you, but also worried about it. But context is key: if you’re talking to a player, a throat touch could signal dishonesty.
24. When he holds your hand, he presses his palm against yours. This kinda full-on hand-holding signifies a desire to connect. The same goes for interlocking fingers.
25. He walks beside you. If he’s always ahead of you, it means he’s more concerned about himself, Patti says. If he’s not leading you through a crowded space, he should be adjusting his pace to match yours.
26. He grazes your forearm while he’s talking. The message is loud and clear. He wants your attention.
27. His voice changes into a slower, sweeter tone. According to Patti, he’s showing you that he can let down his guard and be vulnerable with you.
28. He sits side-by-side with you as often as he can. Like, even if you have a comfy armchair next to your tiny couch, he’s opting to squeeze next to you. Or, at a restaurant that has booths, he won’t shy away from sitting on the same side instead of across from you.
29. He plays with his glass. Patti says this can be a sign of nervousness—or attraction. A caress could suggest he wants to touch you.
30. He treats your possessions with respect. Even if he does everything to make you feel like a queen on a first date, pay attention to how he handles your stuff. Does he throw your jacket instead of handing it to you? Patti says that reckless treatment of your things reveals the respect he has for you, and also gives you a clear picture of what it’d be like if you lived together.
31. He minimises interruptions and distractions. Beyond just putting his phone away when he’s with you (the absolute lowest bar of courtesy on a date), he resists interjecting your story to comment on the cricket match playing on the screen behind you or the fries being too spicy. However, even if he does interrupt you (we’re all human!), an interested guy will quickly apologise and touch you to make the effort to reconnect with you, Patti says.