Whether 2018 was the year you fell in love for the first time, went through the worst breakup of your life, or experienced enough bad first dates to last you a lifetime, a new year is all about growth.
So whatever you may want to work on for 2019, we got you. Here's everything we learned in 2018 about love, dating, sex, and more—and how you can carry those lessons over to the new year.
If you've had ZERO luck on dating apps:
- Try these proven little hacks on your profile.
- Or, consider a different app altogether.
- Give slow dating a shot if you feel overwhelmed by your choices.
- Know if someone is totally playing you.
- Meet people IRL if you're SO sick of swiping.
If you're terrified of making the first move:
- Learn to slide into someone's DMs like a pro.
- See what Tinder pickup lines have actually worked.
- Become a lil' better at flirting.
- Get great ideas on how to ask someone out.
- Know exactly how much time to wait before texting after a date.
If you've got first date fatigue:
- Try some date ideas that don't suck.
- Skip the bar and go on a walk (which, BTW, is also totally free).
- Follow these tips from the experts: people who have been on successful first dates.
- Do a birth chart reading on your first date.
- Plan a much better second date, which matters more anyway.
If you want to get better at reading cues:
- Spot these body language signs on your crush.
- Suss out the hints that your partner is probs falling in love with you.
- Know why this one social media habit can hint at a breakup.
- Figure out if your S.O. might ask to move in with you soon.
- Learn what to look for if you suspect you're being cheated on.
If you're a little bored in your relationship:
- Go through this super-long list of date ideas.
- Make your anniversary really count.
- Come up with some solid double date ideas.
- Find some cheap dates if prix fixe dinners aren't your thing.
- Take notes from the best dates people went on in 2018.
If you keep fighting with your S.O. over dumb stuff:
- Learn how to overcome your differences, even the ones that seem huge.
- See if your phone is causing a lot of your issues.
- Know which small fights happen to everyone.
- Find out what your vacation fight says about your relationship.
- Know what it takes to make your partnership truly last.
If your sex life feels kinda strained:
- Try these tips to make your sex 1,000-percent more romantic.
- Treat yourselves with some new sex toys.
- Know that great sex is so much more than sex itself.
- Check and see if you're worried about things you shouldn't be worried about.
- Get some sex position inspo for every possible mood.
If you want a little more romance in your relationship:
- Consider using embarrassing pet names.
- Make the most of your bedtime.
- Try writing some love letters, Peter Kavinsky-style.
- Get inspired by what other people do to show love.
- Find ways to communicate that don't involve texting.
If you're really not sure about staying together:
- Check to see if your relationship is meant to last.
- Get help figuring out if you're with the person you should marry.
- Know the difference between temporary problems or much bigger deals.
- Be honest: are you scared to break up with someone because they're really nice?
- Decide if breaking up is the right call.
If you had your heart broken in 2018:
- Take these steps to get over that heartbreak, stat.
- Learn from what other people did to feel better.
- Immerse yourself in some very good books.
- Deck your awesome new apartment out.
- Throw yourself one hell of a breakup party.
If you keep dating douchebags and don't know why:
- Narrow down *exactly* which crappy people you always fall for.
- Know when you're giving way too much to a relationship.
- See if your sometimes-perfect, sometimes-horrible partner is actually a narcissist.
- Stop answering half-interested texts.
- Know the joy of what a good relationship actually feels like.
If you're *still* not over your ex:
- Know the best ways to get over someone.
- Live your best life, even if you secretly also want to make your ex a li'l jeal.
- Absolutely delete all your old photos together.
- Find out when you're truly ready to date again.
- If you're sure, try and get back together with your ex.
If all you want right now is a really good sex toy:
- Invest in a classic rabbit vibe.
- Treat yourself to something fancy.
- Or, get something cheap that still gets the job done.
- Upgrade your orgasms with this sex toy.
- Browse this list of toys and stop yourself from buying all of them.
Follow Julia on Twitter.