A friend with benefits is a no strings attached, cute buddy of yours who is eager to ravish you behind closed doors but still hold your hand on the days when thoughts of your ex make you feel blue! It's the perfect arrangement for the girl who is in between relationships and wants some familiar fun without the pressure.
Despite its endless perks, it can get a little tricky especially if one party catches feelings so here are seven commandments to ensure you enjoy this little tryst and still stay lifelong friends with your FWB, long after you close the chapter:
1) Thou shall be honest about relationship goals. There are strict lines separating the friendzone, FWBs and a meaningful relationship. Hoping that one will transition into the other is a recipe for disaster, be honest about what you really want.
2) Thou shall not be territorial. FWBs are never exclusive! It is an open relationship so if you can't deal don't play!
3) Thou shall keep it a secret. No suspicious pics on social media, no throwing shade or sending subs. The world should not have even a whiff of what happens after hours.
4) Thou shall stay protected. Protect your heart from catching feelings, take a break if you have to and go on dates with other people to diffuse any build-up of emotions and of course, protect your body- you don't want a lifelong doctor's appointment as a souvenir.
5) Thou shall not exempt thyself from finding a mate. This is a temporary arrangement and your buddy knows that even more than you so if you opt out of dating to focus on a FWB, you might get a rude shock when he introduces you to bae!
6) Thou shall not make a BFF thy FWB. Sometimes FWBs make it on the 'hated Ex list' especially when one party's love is scorned. Losing an FWB sucks but not half as much as losing your BFF!
7) Thou shall not be FWB with someone who is in a committed relationship. If he has a wife, girlfriend or involved baby mama then he isn't FWB material!
Having a friendship with benefits can be most liberating if you follow these 7 commandments. Feel free to cut the ties without remorse, at any point in time if there is a breach of contract!
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.ng