It’s monsoon and the cool, rainy weather comes as a welcome respite to the oppressive summer heat. While the pitter-patter of raindrops and cloudy skies lift our spirits and make our hearts sing (cue to Gene Kelly dancing to Singing In The Rain), the humidity can wreak havoc on our hair. The result: dullness, frizziness and hair fall. If you’re suffering from any of these problems, here is a list of 10 ways you can protect your hair.
1. Wavy and curly hair is prone to frizz, so make sure you use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner.
2. Opt for a natural or sulphate-free shampoo to avoid using excessive chemicals, which can dry out your ends.
3. Though it feels like the go-to solution, heat-based styling tools and blow dryers actually compound hair damage. Use them in moderation to prevent static and avoid damaging to your follicles.
4. Remember how our grandmas always told us to oil our hair? Well, they had the right idea! Hydrating oils like almond and coconut are perfect to prevent dehydration-induced frizz, breakage, and split ends. Using a Neem-based oil cools the scalp and clears out accumulated sweat that can cause dandruff and itching. Use a hot towel afterwards for maximum benefit. Adopting this ritual once a week is enough to make a noticeable difference.
5. Humid conditions encourage the growth of bacteria and fungi on the scalp, triggering and aggravating concerns such as itchiness, flakiness, excess oiliness, and hair-loss. Shampooing 2-3 times a week with a mild shampoo helps maintain a clean scalp and keeps micro-organisms at bay. Incase you get caught in the rain, try to wash-out and dry your hair, ASAP.
6. Use an anti-frizz hair masque/conditioner to keep your hair manageable. Layer your products by adding an anti-frizz cream, spray and/or serum for maximum effect and benefit.
7. Dull hair can be a cause for concern during the monsoon, especially if you have coloured or chemically-treated hair. Use a colour-protecting masque to maintain lustre. Blend in an oil with your masque to enhance radiance. Finish your hair care regime by applying a serum or leave-in hair oil to keep your mane looking its healthy best.
8. Some creative hair-styling ideas can help avoid the repeated use of heat-based styling tools. Pony tails, braids, a top knot, or loose waves are ideal choices. Head to Instagram and look for #HairStyles to get all the styling inspo you need.
9. Do take the time to dry your hair properly as wet or damp hair generally leads to an irritated scalp. Try using a microfibre towel as it soaks water easily and causes minimum friction.
10. Using the right kind of comb is important as it can prevent excessive frizz and breakage caused by tangling. Due to increased humidity levels, its advisable to use a wide-tooth comb which prevents breakage and helps in the distribution of natural scalp oils.