Falling in love is one of the scariest, yet most fulfilling feelings in the world. Whether your feelings are reciprocated or not, you’re put in an ultra vulnerable place that’s either the start of something amazing with someone, or heartbreak.
But even with all the risk, love is still exciting enough to make the leap worth it. No matter what happens between you and your partner in the end, the experience of opening up and sharing your love together can change the both of you powerfully. Whether you’re in the beginning stages of falling in love, excited about it, nervous about it, or just wondering what it feels like to be in love, these 65 quotes from celebrities, movies, books, TV, and music are for you.
1. “Can I go where you go?/Can we always be this close forever and ever?” —Taylor Swift, Lover
2. “I love you, in a really really big, pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you, love you. So pick me, choose me, love me.”—Meredith Grey, Grey’s Anatomy
3. “He's my best, best friend. What do you do with your best friend? You do nothing" —Blake Lively on husband Ryan Reynolds
4.“Loving someone is giving them the power to break your heart, but trusting them not to.” —Julianne Moore
5. “If love ain't dead I'ma kill it 'cause it's killin' me/Cold world, they'll be livin' in a fantasy/Got me, it's the only thing I'll ever need.”—Lizzo, Heaven Help Me
6. “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Suess
7. “She took my breath away. That had never happened to me in my life, where I saw somebody and [experienced] all of those things you hear about in songs and read about in poetry. My knees were weak. It was amazing. And it was very hard for me to get her out of my mind after that.”—Portia de Rossi on wife Ellen Degeneres
8. “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
9.“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.” ― Neil Gaiman, The Kindly Ones
10. “He doesn’t try to dim my light. He puts me in the light, even if I don’t want to be. He pushes me to further points I never thought about. It always was something that I could see in some relationships — my light would be dimmer. Now I feel like I can shine really bright and still do everything that I want to do.” — Serena Williams on husband Alexis Ohanian
11.“I like shiny things, but I’d marry you with paper rings/Uh huh that’s right/Darling you’re the one I want, and I hate accidents except when we went from friends to this.” —Taylor Swift, Paper Rings
12. “In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find someone who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you.”—Juno
13. You were like coming up for fresh air. It's like I was drowning and you saved me.”—Derek Shepherd, Grey's Anatomy
14.“You meet thousands of people and none of them really touch you. And then you meet one person and your life is changed forever.” —Love and Other Drugs
15. “Most of all, I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”—Dirty Dancing
16. “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”–John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
17. “First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.”–Maya Angelou
18. "I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known."–Sleepless in Seattle19. “Is this how it goes? You fall in love, and nothing seems truly scary anymore, and life is one big possibility?”–Jenny Han, Always and Forever, Lara Jean
20. "I started talking with him, and he was just the most genuinely precious, sweet person. And the second audition comes around, and the chemistry was instant. From the time he walked in that door and we saw each other again, we [both] lit up, and we were excited to get work and learn together."–Miley Cyrus about Liam Hemsworth
21. “From the first time we read [The Last Song script], it was like I had known her before.”–Liam Hemsworth about Miley Cyrus
22. “You’re my downfall, you’re my muse/My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues/I can’t stop singing, it’s ringing, in my head for you.”–John Legend, "All of Me"
23. “She wasn't exactly sure when it happened. Or even when it started. All she knew for sure was that right here and now, she was falling hard and she could only pray that he was feeling the same way.”–Nicholas Sparks, Safe Haven
24. "You know, it's funny what a young man recollects. 'Cause I don't remember being born. I, I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But, I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the whole wide world."–Forrest Gump
25. "On our first date, I treated her to the finest ice cream Baskin-Robbins had to offer, our dinner table doubling as the curb. I kissed her, and it tasted like chocolate."–Barack Obama about Michelle Obama, O, The Oprah Winfrey Magazine26. “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”–When Harry Met Sally
27. “It was not a convenient time for me to fall in love with him–and it was not a convenient time for him to fall in love with me. One morning, about four o'clock, I was driving my car just about as fast as I could. I thought, 'Why am I out on the highway this time of night?' I was miserable, and it all came to me: 'I'm falling in love with somebody I have no right to fall in love with. I can't fall in love with this man, but it's just like a ring of fire.”–June Carter Cash about Johnny Cash
28. “Love is passion, obsession, someone you can’t live without. If you don’t start with that, what are you going to end up with?”–Meet Joe Black
29. “I saw my husband in a photograph before I saw him. I was not a hopeless romantic. I never thought about getting married, it never occurred to me that I would grow old with someone. I just thought I would be living my single girl life in the city and sort of like moving. When I saw him, the photograph of him, I saw my entire future with him flash before — like I saw it."–Kelly Ripa about Mark Consuelos
30. "I've fallen in love. I'm an ordinary woman. I didn't think such violent things could happen to ordinary people."–Brief Encounter
31. "Cause you make me feel like/I could be driving you all night/And I'll find your lips in the street lights/I wanna be there with you."–Carly Rae Jepsen, "Run Away With Me"
32. “Completely love at first sight. He told me he went home and wrote my number on so many other things in case he lost it.”–Victoria Beckham about David Beckham33. “Each time you happen to me all over again.”–Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
34. "I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder.”–Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
35. “I hope you don’t mind/That I put down in words/How wonderful life is while you’re in the world.”–Elton John, "Your Song"
36. "I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be."–Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
37. “I’m not one for vomiting declarations of sentiment out across the airwaves, but when we had that baby, I fell more in love with my wife than I’d ever been in my entire life. I couldn't even believe it."–Ryan Reynolds about Blake Lively, Late Show with David Letterman
38. “It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy; - it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.”–Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
39. “You’re the first boy I ever kissed, Jake, and I want you to be the last.”–Sweet Home Alabama
40. “This is the golden age of something good and right and real/and I never saw you coming/and I’ll never be the same.”–Taylor Swift, "State of Grace"
41. "It was 2009, and I was tipsy and twirling when I bumped into Aaron. He was gorgeous—the kind of handsome I’d seen in my mind when I let myself be the girl who can have that, the girl I’d watched on screen so many times in rom-coms that always seemed to end in marriage. Within minutes of our meeting, he invited me for a cup of coffee, and in a nearby fluorescent-lit café, I discovered that he was more than good-looking. He was kind and attentive and had a generous ear. I knew he was my guy, but I was unsure if I’d be his girl… Aaron proposed to me five years later at our home last December. When I said yes, I had never been more certain about anything."–Janet Mock about Aaron Tredwell
42. "You know she beat me at darts and then she beat me at pool/And then she kissed me like there was nobody else in the room."–Ed Sheeran, "Galway Girl"
43. "Relationships are funny. You have to constantly fall in love and challenge each other."–Justin Timberlake
44. "I knew I'd never be able to remember what Nina wore that day. But I also knew I'd never forget the way she looked."–The Father of the Bride
45. “He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete.”–F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
46. "Thirteen years and one day ago, I crossed paths with the guy on the left. The adventures have never ceased. The love has never waned. The gifts are never ending."–Neil Patrick Harris about David Burtka, Instagram
47. “They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops, and that’s true.”–Big Fish
48. "I look and stare so deep in your eyes/I touch on you more and more every time/When you leave, I'm begging you not to go/Call your name two or three times in a row/Such a funny thing for me to try to explain/How I'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame/'Cause I know I don't understand/Just how your love can do what no one else can."–Beyoncé and Jay Z, "Crazy in Love"
49. "Like a river flows/Surely to the sea/Darling, so it goes/Some things are meant to be."–Elvis Presley, "Can't Help Falling in Love With You"
50. "Life for me changed fundamentally…David [Bowie] gave me the most exciting, touching, and deliriously loving 24 years. Still, it was not enough—shockingly brief. And although I’ll never get used to losing him, David is nonetheless hiding in plain sight.”–Iman about David Bowie
51. “The bottom line is that we never fall for the person we're supposed to.”―Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper
52. “Let me tell you, my friend, I will be in the honeymoon phase until I leave this planet." Aaron Paul about Lauren Parsekian, People
53. “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.”–William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
54. “I found out she was married — I assumed to a woman. It was a little dagger in my heart. I remember this whirlwind of me falling in love in those four days. I thought I’d forget about her, but that Christmas I found myself talking to my mother about it. I never talk to her about anything like this, but I was completely open about how lost I felt. That was the real indicator for me: me talking to my mother about Lauren."–Samira Wiley about Lauren Morelli, Out
55. “I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I can’t do anything but think about him. At night I dream of him, all day I wait to see him, and when I do see him my heart turns over and I think I will faint with desire.”–Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl
56. "Flame you came to me/Fire meet gasoline/Fire meet gasoline/I'm burning alive/I can barely breathe."
57. “We fell in love, and before long, we could just tell that we wanted to stay together and make a life together. We wanted to declare to each other and our friends and family that we were in it to win it. It’s important to note that it was not the result of any planning on either of our parts. In fact, we were both looking rather in the other direction when we ran smack into it.” –Nick Offerman about Megan Mullaly, The AV Club
58. “I didn’t have a crush on any of the players. Except Ilana. Ilana was a great player.”–Billie Jean King about Ilana Kloss, Vanity Fair
59. "I watch them other girls when they come and bug you/But I felt like I knew you, so I just wanted to hug you."–Ariana Grande, "R.E.M."
60. “I must say that when I met Rita, I thought, ‘Oh, this is what it’s supposed to be like when you are married to someone. It’s supposed to be this carefree and easy and, you know, oddly enough, weighty."–Tom Hanks about Rita Wilson
61. "Slowly now we begin to move/Every breath I'm deeper into you."–Madonna, "Crazy for You"
62. “It's more like you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you hope that that person is the one—and then at some point, you have to put down your chips. You just have to make a commitment and hope that you're right.”–Rainbow Rowell, Landline63. “He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.”–Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
64. "My mom always used to say, 'You can't say I love you before you can say I.' And I think that sort of makes sense."–Mindy Kaling
65. "It’s so hard and scary to open your heart to someone. It’s much easier to kind of float and not invest and not expose yourself and not open your heart. The point is, vulnerability is the key to happiness. Vulnerable people are powerful people. Opening your heart and sharing it means you’re going to get so much love in your life.”–Amy Poehler on Ask Amy