Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham — the film that made it to the hall of 'Fave Family Movie', through generations and is still your all time Sunday indulgence. It was not just about a glamorous star-cast that gave the film the status it achieved, but an emotional roller-coaster of a ride that appealed to all. Admit it, even today you can't help turning up the volume of your stereo if the radio decides to play a throwback song from the film. Neither can you deny jumping up with joy inside when you see it being telecast on TV.
If you could relate to the above, you're clearly a die-hard K3G fan, and are totally up for some interesting trivia on it. Read on...
1. After featuring in classics like Trishul and Namak Halal, people would have been thrilled to see Waheeda Rehman and Amitabh Bachchan on the silver screen again, as she was the original choice for the role of Amitabh's mother in the film. Making a comeback after ten years, the veteran actress even shot a few scenes, when the sad news of her husband's sudden demise led her to quit the project. Her shoes were then filled by the talented actress, Achala Sachdev.
2. Interestingly, Jugal Hansraj had a cameo in K3G — as Hrithik's roommate. Apparently, KJo considered him as his 'lucky mascot' but eventually ended up deleting the scene from the final cut! It's just sad, for his otherwise unlucky career would have appreciated the opportunity of being associated with the big brand that the film went on to become.
3. We're sure you still can't resist tapping your feet to the peppiest number of the film, You Are My Sonia featurig Hrithik and Kareena's sizzling chemistry. You probably didn't know that the original script had even Shah Rukh and Kajol's sequence incorporated in the song, for that extra jazz. Unluckily for us, the scene got edited out of later.
4. Guess who else had a special appearance to boast of in the original script of this cult film? It was none other than Abhishek Bachchan! We definitely missed chortling at this hilarious scene of the infamous 'Poo' played superbly well by Kareena, being laughed at.
5. While we will probably never know, who wins the debate of 'existing nepotism' in Bollywood, we can definitely say that star kids do get their fair share of making their first appearances in movies, thanks to their celebrity status. Shah Rukh's son, Aryan Khan played the role of his father's childhood self in the opening credits of K3G. After all, who could look more like him than his own little one!
6. John Abraham had to wait quite a while in Bollywood before he could make his mark in the industry.When he was relatively new, he was offered the role of Poo's college friend and stalker, Robbie. He chose to decline it, and missed his chance of being a part of the epic family saga.
7. Karan Johar had to undergo a lot of struggle to produce his magnum opus, and went as far as getting sued for it! Reportedly, the song 'It's Raining Men' was used in the film without getting prior permission from the rightful owners. For the same, Karan was sued in a UK court, and had to pay a fine. Well, we're glad anyway since the song added so much more personality to Kareena's character.
8. One of Karan Johar's finest works, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham not only received a lot of appreciation and love amongst the masses, but also went on to become one of the first Indian films that had a book published on it's making. Woah!
9. Many of you wouldn't know that Karan Johar drew inspiration for his self-proclaimed family drama from his own family! In fact, the character of 'Yashwardhan Raichand' played by Amitabh Bachchan was inspired by Karan's own father, Yash Johar!
10. Remember the minions who hovered around Kareena's character 'Poo' in her college? That role was portrayed by Ramona Sunavala! She went on too become a popular VJ at MTV, as well as a singer and a host. She definitely made her breakthrough in showbiz, by being a part of the right script, at the right time!