Healthy relationships take work and making relationship resolutions is a great way to improve your romantic life. But one super easy thing anyone, of any gender identity or sexuality, can do, compliments their partner. We can all be guilty of sometimes 'forgetting' to compliment the men and masc-presenting people in our lives, right? We all internalise (and are hurt by) the nonsense of patriarchy and sexism, so often think women and femmes need to be told they're beautiful, while men are OK to go without. But this one-way street is not healthy. And we should all try and lift up the people we love, regardless of their gender.
Men on Reddit just started sharing how the women they date and have dated have made them feel attractive, and it's clear what a positive impact these seemingly small compliments can have on someone's confidence and self-esteem.
1. "Complimented me. Been proud to be seen with me in public and introduce me to people. Look at me like she wants to kiss me while we’re in public, with that little lip-biting thing." [via]
2. "Currently have a girlfriend who does the best job of this! Compliments mainly! Just like squeezing my arms and telling me that I have nice strong arms. Things of that nature!" [via]
3. "Calling me beautiful, cute, handsome. Grabbing me when I am doing chores. Hugs. Cute texts to remind that they are thinking of me. Especially because I have a history of having poor self-worth." [via]
4. "I was lying naked with the girl I've been dating for the past few months, and she asked if she could explore my body a bit. As someone who has never had the greatest self-confidence, I felt quite vulnerable but gave her permission. After several minutes of very carefully studying me, she smiled and said I was beautiful. I'll be riding that high for a long time." [via]
5. "My ex had and has a lot of knowledge in fashion. So every month or two we would go shopping and she would help me pick out new clothes/outfits. It really helped boost my ego and confidence." [via]
6. "My girlfriend has done wonders for my self-esteem in the year that we've been dating, by insisting that I'm attractive/desirable when she thinks I'm trying to dismiss any compliments." [via]
7. "I like being told I'm cute/hot/handsome. Makes me beam like a kid on Christmas. I personally don't think men get told this enough. But that is anecdotal nonsense from me and may not be the norm for other folks out there." [via]
8. "Once when we were out she told me, 'You shouldn't have worn that shirt, I might jump you right here,' and that made me feel pretty good." [via]
9. "Most importantly, the way she looks at me. A word or a touch could mean a lot to me and others, but I personally feel the best and I see her eyes looking at me. There is something special in the eyes that you can't fake love when seeing someone, and that feeling fills my heart each time she looks at me." [via]
10. "I have a personalised card collection of reasons why she likes me. That was a nice boost of confidence and whenever I feel low I go for it and it never fails to make me smile." [via]