There's only so many times you can get quesadillas and margs at that one restaurant before you start to fall into a serious dating rut (...or is there?). If you need some new inspo for a romantic and creative date, look no further. Here are literally 150 ideas to mix up your next romantic rendezvous, and don't worry, we won't tell anyone where you got them from.
1. Hit up the nearest bar with a working jukebox. If you don't have a Google Maps list of jukebox bars, um, WYD? Give each other $2 each to choose the best songs available and compare your impeccable tastes in music.
2. Go grocery shopping together. Pushing past aggressive shoppers for the last crown of broccoli alone is miserable, but with a ~special someone~? It's a sexy team sport.
3. Spend an hour planning out future dates. Power! Of! Positive! Thinking! Also, a good way to get a partner who's usually too chill to make plans to actually make plans.
4. Take a boxing class together. Even if you don't feel like punching them, maybe you sort of feel like punching them?
5. Grab a Zipcar and drive somewhere new. Pretend you're fancy and reserve a convertible on Zipcar to hit the open road. Even if that road only leads you 15 minutes out of your town.
6. Get pedicures together. Sit in a big, cozy massage chair and spend 45 minutes getting just as intimate as you are relaxed..
7. Plan a fake vacation together. Remember that game you played as a kid where you'd spin a globe, see where your finger landed, and pretend you were flying out immediately? Do the same (but like, with the internet) and see how well your vacay styles mesh.
8. Crash a party. Find a work happy hour at a nearby bar, a wedding in a park, whatever—throw on some nice-ish clothes and pretend you know someone.
9. Play hide 'n seek. Always and forever the flirtiest game.
10. Teach them how to do something new. Maybe you've still got your old soccer tricks or are like, really good at knitting. Teach them how to do something you love and show off your skills at the same time.
11. Play a private game of never have I ever. You said you wanted to get to know each other...
12. Create a dinner out of only food truck stuff. Your town *definitely* has at least one—go hit up your local food truck parks and create the most gourmet meal possible.
13. Go ax throwing together. This is apparently a thing now, so um, go do it?
14. Plan a dinner party. See how well you work together in the kitchen and show off your skills (or mess) to your pals.
15. Find a photo booth. You know what to do.
16. Hit up a protest together. God knows there are plenty worth your participation.
17. Unearth your childhood/teen photos. They're buried on your Facebook and you know it. Nothing bonds like relishing awk memories together.
18. Go furniture shopping at an antique store. Looking for lil' tchotchkes at a great steal? Sounds perfect.
19. Go to IKEA. It's the total opposite of thrift store shopping and yet just as fun. Also, if your flirtation can survive this, it can survive an-y-thing.
20. Volunteer in your community. Clean up a beach or read to kiddos together.
21. Take a trip to a nearby tourist destination. Is there a big state park you've both always lived super close to but never visited? Now's the time.
22. Go to an aquarium. Look, animals (even FISH) are really cute, I don't make the rules.
23. Go to a zoo. Ditto for land animals.
24. Take on a project and go to Home Depot. Knock out your chores and show off your electric drill-expertise all in one date.
25. Go to the library together. Wander through the stacks and see what you two can bond over. Libraries forever.
26. Take a bunch of personality quizzes. Are you a Khaleesi or an Anya, a blueberry pop tart or an unfrosted strawberry one? None of this affects your relationship, except, um, it totally does and it's fun.
27. Go to a psychic together. Don't trust your own romantic instincts? Let a professional take your relationship to the stars.
28. Go on a walking tour. At worst you spent $10 on a corny thing you can laugh at together, and at best, you learn a bunch of cool stuff with a really cool person.
29. Go shopping together. Give each other a budget and an occasion (like new work clothes or something to wear to a party) and style each other.
30. Go on a scavenger hunt. Set parameters like how many clues you both get and see how fast you can solve them.
31. See a horrible movie. Nothing bonds like hate-spo!
32. Role play as strangers in a bar. It doesn't even have to be sexual, it can just be funny.
33. Go to a roller-rink. Bonus points if you have fun retro skates.
34. Make each other playlists and go on an aimless drive. Listen to each other's bops and see where the night takes you!
35. See an improv show. It's usually cheap or free, and you're almost guaranteed a fun time even if it's horrible.
36. Go for a hike. Exploring nature with your boo is weirdly intimate.
37. Go camping. Cuddling under the stars...what could be more romantic?
38. Do an at-home movie marathon with a theme. Watch everything an actor or actress has done, or all the iterations of A Star Is Born, or only movies that take place in a certain city.
39. Get a coloring book and just go HAM. Very therapeutic.
40. Host a dinner party. You can cook everything or have your friends each bring a dish.
41. Host a board game party. Yes, Heads Up counts.
42. Go to an art gallery. Gallery openings are usually free and most of the time, they've got wine and snacks on deck, so you know, that's a THING.
43. Do something low-key competitive like play a game of basketball or ping pong together. Healthy competition never hurt anyone.
44. Try the 36 Questions to Fall in Love. It doesn't work every time, but it is a fun conversation starter.
45. Look at adoptable pets online. You know, for *someday*.
46. Go to an open house. It really doesn't matter how far into your relationship you are/aren't, snooping around other people's houses and just being in the mindset of "playing house" is objectively VERY FUN.
47. De-clutter your lives together. You can trade off, for fairness: KonMari their place this weekend and yours the next.
48. Go to a pumpkin patch. It's autumn, it's romantic, and then, at the end, you get to use knives in a fun way!
49. Go on a museum date. Art! And staring at things as a way to fill any awkward silences.
50. Have dinner and see a movie. Eating food and watching someone tell you stories is a classic for a reason.
51. Take a long walk together. You don't need a destination because you have each other. Aww.
52. Go on a picnic. Few things are more romantic than packing up an old-fashioned picnic. If you've never done this, now's the time.
53. Go strawberry/blueberry/whateverberry picking. There's something eternally cute about even the mere act of asking someone to go strawberry picking with you that you don't even really have to go strawberry picking. It still counts.
54. Go horseback riding. You both might get thrown from the horse and then you'll get to spend time together in a hospital bed. So cute.
55. Go to a pottery class. One word, one movie: Ghost.
56. Go apple picking. Preferably you're both wearing flannel and frolicking in leaves, and then later, cider happens!
57. Take a painting class. One word, one movie: Titanic.
58. Find a rollercoaster and ride it. Literally impossible to live more than one hour away from an amusement park in this country.
59. Take a cooking class. One word, one movie. Ratatouille. (Surprisingly sweet love story there too!)
60. Go to the opera. Anything you get to dress super fancy for is instant romance. Plus, singing! Plus, if you're younger than 30, there's prob a deal for "young patrons" that makes this a secretly affordable date.
61. Go to the ballet. Have you seen Black Swan? That could get romantic or deadly. Totally worth price of admission (also, see above note about young patrons!).
62. Go plant shopping together. If you aren't living in an apartment that's also basically a jungle, you aren't living in the 21st century.
63. Go waterskiing. It's like regular skiing except with more water.
64. Grab drinks at a bar. Go to your favourite bar or a totally new bar or a bar you'd never go in. Mix it up! Classic because it's easy and good.
65. Have a coffee date. It's super casual and no one will puke on your shoes after.
66. Go to a house party together. Maybe they're your friends, maybe they're mutual friends. Either way, you get out of the house and into someone else's free booze.
67. Fly a kite. This is surprisingly wonderful because no one ever does this and you feel a little bit like a kid again. Perfect.
68. Go to the beach. Gorgeous water, lots of sun, and both of you are kind of naked!
69. Go skiing. Because it'll make you super cold, which gives you an excuse to warm each other up later.
70. Play kickball. Get a bunch of your friends, grab a ball, and hit the park for a simple, but super fun game you can tease each other about later.
71. Go to a bed and breakfast. It's like a date inside someone else's house!
72. Go to trivia night at a bar. What's more fun than proving you know more than the person you're on a date with? Nothing.
73. Go to a sports game. Watch other people win and lose and sit there and judge them. Also, sports have the best snacks.
74. Go to the park. Sit on a bench, lie in the grass. You're already imagining yourself there right now and it feels cool, doesn't it?
75. Go see a play. Even if it's not good, it's local theatre. Sit in the back and make out.
76. Go to a water park. You're kind of naked and there are slides!
77. Make out in the backseat of your car. It's like you're 16 again with no curfew and you actually know what you're doing.
78. Go to a hookah bar. Because, um, you can?
79. Go to a farmers' market. And make a whole picnic lunch out of your new, organic spoils.
80. Get brunch. There's booze, there's food, and you just woke up next to each other. What's not great about that?
81. Go to the club. Dressing up like assholes, dancing like assholes, it's a great time.
82. Go to a haunted house. If it's scary, it'll bring you closer. If it's cheesy, you can make fun of it, which will bring you closer. Win-win.
83. Go to a workout class. Best case scenario: You get fit and have a great time. Worst case scenario: You use them to get a referral credit on ClassPass.
84. Go birdwatching. If it gets boring you can just go have sex.
85. Go on a brewery tour. Usually there are beer samples so you can get drunk in a place that's like a giant beer glass.
86. Go to a bookstore. You haven't read that???
87. Go to a record store. You haven't heard that???
88. Go to a cheese tasting. "Hmm, this one tastes slightly less gross than that one. How divine!"
89. Make a new recipe together. Yet another excuse to buy a cookbook with beautiful photos inside.
90. Bake together. Baking is harder than it looks, but flour fights could happen so it's worth trying. Also, once again: new cookbook.
91. Go whale watching. Can't see any whales? Oh well. You have each other.
92. Play Twister. You know how this ends.
93. Go to karaoke. Making fun of yourself is always a turn-on. And you will definitely do that.
94. Go paddleboarding. Who doesn't love trying to balance so they don't fall in a lake?
95. Or skimboarding. Live closer to a beach than a lake? Do this instead.
96. Go to the botanical gardens. Gorgeous flowers everywhere make everything smell and look amazing. Nothing is better.
97. Solve a puzzle. A great bonding activity, especially because your hands will be too busy to mindlessly use your phone on your date.
98. Go bowling. If you hate bowling, there are always the pitchers of beer.
99. Play laser tag. Is this for kids? No. Well, yeah, but that doesn't make it any less fun.
100. See a drive-in movie. It's like a regular movie except inside a car.
101. Ride go-karts. Loser has to give the winner a (sensual) massage.
102. Take a hot air balloon ride. It's like a cramped, romantic picnic… in the air.
103. Go ice skating. Classic.
104. Go to the roller rink. Like a warm ice skating rink.
105. Take a flamenco dancing class. It's more erotic than square dancing.
106. Sign up for Tough Mudder. Some people think this is fun.
107. Go paint-balling. Take out some of that pent-up aggression.
108. Walk someone's dog together. Sign up for Wag and pretend you own all the dogs your apartment can't actually accommodate.
109. Go to a concert. Go see some local band in your town or a giant arena show.
110. Go on a double date. Take any of these dates and do that with two more people. This list just became 200 date ideas.
111. Take a falconry class. This is the kind of date the Kennedy family would go on.
112. Go skeet shooting. Like hunting, but ethical.
113. Go to a vineyard and try wine tasting. It's like you're the guys in Sideways.
114. Book a dinner cruise. Boats are romantic. Dinners are romantic. This is double romantic.
115. Go skydiving. If you've got a death wish.
116. Try hangliding. If you've got a death wish but only kind of.
117. Rock climbing. As long as you have the upper-arm and leg strength.
118. Go to an open mic night. There's a 25 percent chance you'll actually see someone great and a 100 percent chance you'll get accidentally drunk waiting for it.
119. Go kayaking. It's a great way to see the outdoors and smash into rocks at the same time, like a violent hike.
120. Go rockclimbing. Bonus points if you do this outdoors, but no sweat if you're more an indoors kinda gal.
121. Walk around on a nearby college campus. Lowkey these places are basically giant museums, and this is FREE.
122. Rent a hotel room. Last-minute reservation services make this weirdly affordable.
123. Check out a local film festival. This could be laughably terrible, or you could find some really cool off-the-radar films. Either way, you win.
124. Head to a convention. See if something interesting is around and grab tickets for a day. There's always something—tattoos, comics, music, etc.—around.
125. Do a romantic fast food date. Pick up McDonalds, light some candles, put on something silky, and toast to greasy fries and everlasting love.
126. Take a paddleboat ride. Take a tour around a local lake with a paddleboat.
127. Go scuba diving. Alternatively, snorkeling.
128. Swim with dolphins. This will change your life.
129. Drive to a really good view. Maybe it's just from the top of your high school (we won't tell) or maybe you have a really good hilltop—whatever it is, get there and make out on it.
130. Visit your hometown. Showing your partner where you grew up isn't something only Bachelorette contestants can/should do.
131. Have an arcade date. Compete for the highest score. Then make them buy dinner.
132. Volunteer at an animal shelter. You're helping animals and spending quality time.
133. Pan for gold. The only date where you can actually make money!!!!
134. Build a snowman. Feel free to sing that song from that movie.
135. Go sledding. Weeeee!
136. Go snow tubing. Like sledding but way more intense.
137. Take a pole dancing class together. This is sexy and funny (and a legit workout).
138. Go holiday shopping together. Buying stuff for other people, with another person.
139. Stay in and cuddle. Simple, yet effective.
140. Go to the circus. When was the last time you were at the circus?
141. Watch a sunset. Or, if you like waking up early, a sunrise.
142. Paint each other. Like, paint a picture of each other. Or, just paint on each other, I guess.
143. Go spelunking. Get your mind out of the gutter. It's cave exploring.
144. See fireworks. Or make your own show (if you live in a place where it's legal).
145. Go for a boat ride. It's like going on a long drive, except on the water.
146. Go to a nude beach. Why be naked together in the comfort of your own home when you can be naked in front of a bunch of strangers?
147. Visit a dog park. This is all the fun of having a dog without taking one home and having to pick up its poop!
148. Get them a dinner order you think they'll love. And they do the same for you. No telling until they both arrive and you've gotta eat it no matter what!
149. Take public transit to the end of the line. Support local transit and go somewhere new.
150. Spend the whole day doing only new things. And "new" only counts if neither of you have done it. Basically a rom com in the making.