What could have been a regular football match on a soccer field in Jordan turned into a beautiful display of sisterhood when players halted the match temporarily to allow an opponent to fix her hijab.
During a match between the Arab Orthodox Club and Shabab al-Ordon Club earlier this month at the WAFF Women’s Club Championship, a player’s hijab began to slip from her head. Almost instinctively, the opponent team players huddled around her to provide cover while she fixed it.
The gesture symbolized sportswoman ship, empathy and the spirit of sisterhood, where women helped each other instead of taking advantage of the situation or bring her down.
Taking notes from the incident, we bring you 25 quotes on sisterhood that will remind of the beautiful bond you share with your soul sister.
1. “Because there is one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.”
― Robin Benway
2. “I love my husband, but it is nothing like a conversation with a woman that understands you. I grow so much from those conversations.”
3. “We're connected, as women. It's like a spider-web. If one part of that web vibrates, if there's trouble, we all know it.”
― Sarah Addison Allen
4. “Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke . . . She will need her sisterhood.”
― Gloria Steinem
5. “There is no way a man can understand you like a woman.”
― Jemima Kerke
6. “Sometimes that’s all you need my love – another woman’s faith in you.”
― Joy McCullough
7. “Behind every great woman are great women who support her.”
8. “Women instinctually know how to nourish each other, and just being with each other is restorative.”
― Tanja Taaljard
9. “Be that girl who roots for the other girl, tells a stranger her hair looks amazing, and encourages other women to believe in themselves and their dreams.”
10. “Sisterhood was about shared experiences, trust, knowing you had people who would be there for you and would listen to you no matter what, and who could always tell if there was something wrong.”
― Michelle Madow
11. “It’s because our friendships – female friendships are just a hop to our sisterhood, and sisterhood can be a very powerful force, to give the world … the things that humans desperately need.”
― Tanja Taaljard
12. “Storm Sister--a friend who sticks close when storms hit her friend's life.”
― Afton Rorvik
13. “She craves men but women are her most abiding lovers. Her friends are her soul mates, all the love without the consumption of sex and romance, a different kind of intimacy. Women make love by admiring each other, studying and envying each other and mixing it all up in a pot of devotion.”
― G.G. Renee Hill
14. “When you admire something about other woman, tell her. Get in the habit of lifting each other up.”
15. “Be the woman who fixes other woman’s crowns without telling the world that it is crooked.”
16. “Woman to woman: May we allow each other the freedom to explore all of the depths and variations of our own femininity.”
17. “The best kind of friendships are fierce lady friendships where you aggressively believe in each other, defend each other and think that the other deserves the world.”
18. “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.”
― Jane Austen
19. “Women understand. We may share experiences, make jokes, paint pictures, and describe humiliations that mean nothing to men, but women understand. The odd thing about these deep and personal connections of women is that they often ignore barriers of age, economics, worldly experience, race, culture — all the barriers that, in male or mixed society, had seemed so difficult to cross.”
— Gloria Steinem
20. "No matter how tired I am, I get dinner at least once a week with my girlfriends. Or have a sleepover. Otherwise, my life is just work."
— Jennifer Lawrence
21. "I don't know what I would have done so many times in my life if I hadn't had my girlfriends."
— Reese Witherspoon
22. I realized many, many years ago, the more I champion women in my own small way, maybe I’ll be able be able to create a world, around me at least, where women run the show. Because we kinda do it really well.”
— Priyanka Chopra
23. I have always believed that sisterhood, the idea of sharing women’s stories, understanding other women, knowing that you are not alone is very empowering.”
— Kalki Koechlin
24. “Strong women lift each other up. I’m lucky to be surrounded by many of them and hope to encourage that sisterhood. Women can make it big in this man’s world only if we motivate and empower each other.”
— Sonam Kapoor
25. "The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends."
— Gwyneth Paltrow