This Indian State Just Implemented a Fixed Minimum Wage for Domestic Workers
But it's still not enough!
It's all over the news! An impressive legislative change has taken place in Rajasthan and that involves the government enforcing fixed minimum wages for domestic help along with set working hours. And believe it or not, it's been long due. Because domestic workers were included in Scheduled 27 of the Minimum Wages Act eight years ago, but it's only now that a minimum wage has been fixed along with working hours to ensure that they're paid well. So here's everything you need to know about this:
- The minimum wage has been set to 5,642 rupees every month for an eight-hour shift that included cooking, washing, baby -sitting, and other daily chores.
- Beyond eight hours, they will be paid double the rate fixed per hour.
- For domestic workers who only do chores like washing laundry and dishes, the minimum wage will be 705 rupees in a household of four people. If there are more than four people then 10 percent extra will be paid over the minimum. This 10 percent extra on each exceeding member.
- Surprise checks will be carried out and violators of the regulations will be penalized. And in the case of a violation, domestic workers will be eligible for compensation as much as 10 times the difference between the minimum wage and the amount he or she actually received.
- And finally, employers who already pay domestic workers more than the minimum wage can't reduce the salary.