One look at Kareena Kapoor today, and you can't question the fact that the most popular Kapoor kid has fit in flawlessly in the Nawab household post her marriage with Saif Ali Khan. She looks effortlessly graceful, be it at events or off-duty, and her camaraderie with her in-laws and Saif's children from his first marriage is enviable. Everyone loves her, and is all praises for her!
While we've talked about how close she is with Sara and Ibrahim, and how she shared her pearls of wisdom with her sister-in-law Soha Ali Khan during the latter's pregnancy, her equation with her mum-in-law—veteran actor Sharmila Tagore—is also endearing.
1. When she wore the same dress worn by Sharmila Tagore on her wedding day.
As may you know, Kareena's wedding attire was not the latest design off the runway, but actually her mother-in-law's wedding dress passed as a family heirloom! Now isn't that just adorable? While every bride wishes for the best and most unique wedding dress on her D-Day, Kareena decided to honour the Pataudi family tradition with just minor revamps on the dress done by her designer BFF, Manish Malhotra and Ritu Kumar. No doubt she looked resplendent, not to mention—regal.
2. "When I am with the family, I am treated like a daughter. Sharmila ji treats me like a daughter. We are not in the 1900s. We don't live like traditional in-laws. We just went to the Maldives for a holiday where I wore a bikini in front of my mother-in-law. It's normal. I don't understand why it's such a big thing. I would do the same with my mother." -Kareena Kapoor
No matter how progressive India may seem RN, there are certain boundaries we don't cross. However, these boundaries should be self-imposed rather than by the society's will and that's exactly how Kareena and Sharmila Tagore's relationship is. Easy, breezy and just like a mother-daughter bond.
3. "For me, my mother-in-law will always be the eternal begum, a career-oriented woman who started a family, who ran the house, looked after three children but yet worked in the biggest commercial successes as well as some great serious cinema. She kind of always tried to balance everything. To me she still is and still looks super gorgeous. Right from the beginning till now, I can't take my eyes off her. I look up to her in every way, so for me she will always be that." - Kareena Kapoor
After a failed marriage in the house, there are hesitations felt by every new bride about her relationship with her in-laws, especially the mother-in-law. But, Kareena instantly bonded with Sharmila Tagore, and has just good words for her. According to Kareena, Sharmila Tagore is her inspiration to manage a career along with a family, without compromising on the success of either.
4. "She is so amazing, she is always like 'Work, you should work' and whenever I wear a dress, she is like 'You look amazing in a dress.' She is so, a woman of today. She is like a super woman." - Kareena Kapoor
There's nothing like the support of your mother in your sartorial choices, career path and general way of life. But when you get that appreciation and love from your mother-in-law, that's probably a whole other feeling! Talk about a supporting mother-in-law. 10/10!
5. "She (Sharmila Tagore) likes me in glamorous parts. She liked me in 'Fevicol' song (the item song in Salman Khan's Dabangg 2). She loves song and dance, so she always says that I should look sexy and glamorous. I think that is a compliment, as even after marriage looking glamorous... I like it." - Kareena Kapoor
As someone who pioneered the glamour quotient in actresses in the film industry, it came as no surprise that Sharmila Tagore wanted Kareena to look as glam as she looked before marriage, and not to make any compromises just because she was married now. In fact, she even complimented Kareena's glamorous avatars, to show her support. Now that's really rare!
6. "She is very calm. I saw her during Tiger's illness in the hospital. It was very easy to be with her. She is gentle and quiet and not intrusive." - Sharmila Tagore
Well, the waterfall of praises was equally flowing on both sides and Sharmila Tagore equally adores her daughter-in-law. Her verdict may come as a surprise to many who presume Kareena to always be loud and bubbly.
7."Kareena has been so lovely. She has carried her pregnancy effortlessly and gracefully. She is enjoying every moment of her pregnancy. She is dressing up, going out and being so natural and beautiful about it." - Sharmila Tagore
The whole world's review means nothing when your own mother-in-law accepts, and loves your ideology and the way you carry yourself. Along with many others, Sharmila Tagore was very impressed with Kareena for handling her pregnancy with utmost grace without compromising on living her life to the fullest.
How often do you get to see such camaraderie between a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law? Not very. Well, touch wood!