No matter how clichéd it sounds, the day of love is almost here. Whether you have planned something for the day or not, you could start your day with some delish breakfast that you can enjoy with your Valentine (or maybe just with yourself if you are single).
Buttermilk Pancakes with Activated Charcoal
By- Chef Tarun Sibal, Director, One Fine Meal
Ingredients for Pancakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 2 capsules of activated charcoal
- 1 table spoon melted butter
- Strawberry to garnish
Ingredients for Jaggery Syrup:
- 1 cup grated or crushed Jaggery
- 3/4 cup water
Method for Jaggery Syrup:
- Add 1 cup grated or crushed jaggery to a sauce pan with 3/4 cup water.
- Heat on a low heat until the jaggery completely melts. Stir well.
- Filter the jaggery syrup with a strainer to remove impurities.
- Boil it on a low to medium heat until the jaggery syrup turns thick and sticky. Keep stirring to ensure the syrup does not catch the bottom.
- To check if it's done, you can check if the syrup lightly coats the back of the spoon. Turn off the flame once this stage is attained.
- Cool and store the jaggery syrup in a clean, dry glass jar until use.
Method for Pancakes:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract just until combined.
- Let pancake batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and brush with butter or oil.
- Ladle 1/3 - 1/2 cup batter onto the skillet for each pancake.
- Flip the pancakes over when small bubbles appear on the surface and continue cooking on the opposite side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and jaggery syrup, garnish with Strawberry.
Beet & Egg Valentine’s Bake
By-Chef Vineet Bahuguna, Hilton Garden Inn, New Delhi/ Saket
- Breakfast sugar -10 Gms
- Salt-5 Gms
- Refined Flour-120 Gms
- Baking Powder- 3 Gm
- Eggs- 5 no
- Melted Salted Butter – 40 Gms
- Milk-40 Ml
- Slice Cheese Cheddar- 4 No
- Beet Root- 50 Gm
- Blend the beet root into puree (adding little water) using a blender and keep aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl (Bowl A).
- In another bowl mix 1 egg, butter, milk and beet root puree (Bowl B).
- Using a whisk mix ingredients of Bowl A & B to make a smooth batter.
- Brush with melted butter the Muffin tray (Heart shaped) and pour the batter till ½ of the muffin insert.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 ̊C.
- Remove from Oven Put slice Cheddar cheese on top and break one egg each.
- Bake for another 8 minutes.
- Remove and cool the tray and carefully remove the bread.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Donut
By- Chef Vinay Trilokiya, Farzi Cafe, Aerocity, New Delhi
- 500 gms Refined Flour
- 50 gms Breakfast sugar
- 10 gms Salt
- 5gms Gluten
- 20 gms Yeast
- 75 gms Butter
- 2 No. Egg
- 180 ml Water
For Strawberry Cream
- 350 gms Whipped cream
- 50 gms Strawberry crush
For Cheese Cream
- 300 gms Whipped cream
- 100 gms Cream Cheese
To Prepare the doughnut-
- Take refined flour then add breakfast sugar, gluten, salt.
- Mix it properly
- Add eggs to the mixture
- Add slightly warm melted butter, mix it evenly, then add water to the mixture and make dough.
- Rest the dough for 5 mins.
- Roll down the down to sheet of 5mm thickness.
- Cut the dough sheet in shape of a ring using 2 round shape cutters (size 2cm from centre, 7 cm from outer ring.)
- Proof the rings in oven at 35⁰ C for 45 minutes.
- Fry the doughnuts till golden colour at 170⁰ C.
- Cut slices of donuts.
- Fill the layers of the donuts with strawberry cream.
- Fill the centre of the layered donuts with Cream cheese.
- Topped it, with chocolate sauce and strawberry crush.
Garnish with pistachio and Edible flowers.
Strawberry Vanilla Pancake
By- Chef Santhnam S., Executive Pastry Chef, Radisson Blu Atria, Bengaluru
- Egg 6 no’s
- Caster sugar 75 gm
- Milk 250 ml
- Refined flour 300 gm
- Baking powder 12 gm
- Milk powder 24 gm
- Vanilla essence 10 ml
- Fresh Strawberry 500 gm
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, pour in to the milk, egg and vanilla essence,
- Mix until well blended, stir in the strawberries
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, and coat with butter or cooking spray, pour batter in to desired size of pancake, flip with a spatula when bubbles appear in the center
- Cook until golden brown on the other side
Valentine special Strawberry Pancakes
By- Chef Manoj Rawat, Executive Chef, Hilton Garden Inn, Gurgaon Baani Square
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or yoghurt (30gms+100 ml water)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup white wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large strawberries, cored, sliced lengthwise into 4-5 pieces to resemble hearts
- 2tbspn honey
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Whisk the egg, buttermilk/yoghurt and oil in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium heat and grease with butter or oil.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of the pancake mixture onto the griddle, gently press a strawberry slice onto the top and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with honey and maple syrup