In such an uncertain time, may your coffees and your spirits be strong. So, if the steaming hot cup of your regular brew is not quite cutting it in this sweltering season, we would like to blow a refreshing gust of iced coffee recipes your way!
Freeda Geetha, Barista at Slay Coffee shares with Cosmo her pick of five gourmet Cold Brew Coffee recipes that do not require sweating it out in the kitchen or even expensive coffee gear. Yep, whether you are an amateur or a veteran caffeine aficionado, all you need are just some single-origin premium Arabica coffee grounds such as SLAY Signature Blend to begin your culinary journey.
Here's how to get started:
Prep your cold brew ice cubes
For the easiest Cold Brew recipe, you’ll need: Coffee grounds, a mug/mason jar and strainer
How to Brew It (Recipe for making 400ml of Cold Brew)
• Take 100 grams of freshly ground coffee powder. The coffee grounds should be coarse and not fine for the ideal cold brew
• Place the coffee grounds in a jar. Pour 500ml of water (use filter water for better results). Stir it thoroughly so the entire coffee grounds are properly soaked
• Place the jar in the refrigerator for about 18-hours (the range is from 12 to 24 hours; so, we are going with the midpoint)
• Take it out after 18-hours and strain it. You can use a French press if you have one or a fine tea strainer or even a fine cotton/muslin cloth. Just ensure no coffee grounds remain in the filtered cold brew. This should get you a yield of approximately 400ml of cold brew
• Pour them in an ice tray and freeze them for your ready to use Cold Brew Ice cubes. Voila!
The key is to make freeze the cold brew into ice cubes so that you can use them whenever you want and most importantly it extends the shelf-life and saves you a ton of time!
Recipes to slay summer
Cold Brew Tonic
Take 4 cold brew ice cubes, start with filling a tall glass with ¾th of tonic water on the cold brew rocks, then slowly pour the rest of the glass with cold brew concentrate. Pour slowly and serve it with some lemon zest on top!
Fill a glass with 4 cold brew ice cubes, and then fill it all the way to the top with chilled water. Add in half a tablespoon of cinnamon syrup and lime syrup each, and stir well to mix. Serve with a slit chilli on top. Coffee with a twist, quite literally!
Coconut Oil Iced Coffee
Take a blender and add 4 cold brew ice cubes, ½ cup of chilled milk, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, a few tablespoons of honey and blend. To serve, pour it in a tall glass and your smooth, creamy and refreshing glass of Coconut Oil Iced Coffee is ready.
For those who need the caffeine with some early morning nourishment! Add rolled oats to a blender and blend until the oats are the size of a fine crumb. Add a medium-sized banana, ½ cup of milk and 3 cold brew ice cubes to it and blend well. Serve Chilled. Enjoy!
Skinny Cold Brew Protein Shake
Want the kick of the caffeine combined with your daily dosage of protein intake, well here you go. Add 4 cold brew ice cubes, 1 scoop (or as per your preference) of your favourite whey protein, ½ cup of chilled milk (dairy or plant milk) to it and blend well. Drink up and power-on!
1. Depending on the strength you desire, you can decrease or increase the number of cold brew rocks you add in the above recipes
2. Make sure you store the cold brew ice cubes in a zip long bag or airtight container so it doesn’t absorb the flavours of other foods in the refrigerator
3. Suggested shelf-life is 15 days